Jalapeno Creamy Sauce “That Green stuff”

Jalapeno-creamy-sauce_'that-green-stuff'recipe-Yes,-more-please!

I know you’ve seen and tasted this creamy, spicy, light green sauce at taco stands, Mexican and Tex Mex restaurants here in Texas. This creamy green sauce is incredibly good and addictive. It’s tangy and spicy profile is irresistible. Why “green stuff” ? Its ingredients are a mystery when you taste it. The creamy texture makes you believe it has avocado or maybe some sort of cream or mayonnaise. I’ve tried to make this sauce many times with no success, until now. I even tried to buy this sauce at a super market chain here in Austin that started to sell it. After trying this supermarket version with its whopping thirty-one ingredients which did not even taste or resemble the creamy tangy spicy “green stuff sauce”.

Determined to make my own, I decided to take action and start my research. This traditional Mexican salsa was not easy to figure out, although I had sampled it many times in my life in Mexico, a very common condiment for tacos, and street food. My first encounter with this sauce was in Baja at a fish taco stand. I experimented with 3 or 4 recipes that I was given by different taco stands and restaurants. I had to eat a lot of tacos in order to get the flavors and ingredients correct or to even attempt to ask how it was made. Such are the sacrifices I make for my readers…Oh well.

After asking a few different sources, I learned the principle of how the creamy sauce was made and to my shock and surprise I discovered that this green creamy sauce is made with just five ingredients! Not a single drop of dairy, cream or avocado is used. Now my mission was figuring out the amounts. It knew it was going to be a matter of trial and error. I started to play with the five ingredients: Fresh Jalapenos, Onion, Garlic, Corn Oil and Salt . I combined them in the most sensible way possible. I attempted to recreate the recipe about three or four times by adjusting the spicy and creamy taste I had in my memory.

I tried different methods like roasting, pan frying, blistering, and boiling the chiles as referenced by my sources. Finally on the final attempt I got it! The green creamy sauce is here before your eyes and I’m sharing it with you with no edits. Easy as 1-2-3-4 steps and five ingredients.

You can make this epic sauce for a fraction of the cost and a thousand times greater in flavor in a blink of an eye. Bettter news yet, it is good for all my Vegan friends, because there is not a single drop of dairy in it.

What can you use this sauce on? EVERYTHING, from ANY taco(on fish tacos..amazing!), carne asada, fish, pork, lamb, roasted chicken, tofu, quesadillas, eggs, sandwiches, burgers, chips, roasted veggies, BAKED SWEET POTATOE FRIES (did I said, baked sweet potato fries?), roasted potatoes, pizza, hot-dogs, you can even combine this sauce with some sour cream and transform it into a dip for chips.. you name it.

Go wild!…I’m in total love with it and so glad I can share it with you. I hope you fall for it too!

Jalapeno-creamy-sauce_'that-green-stuff'

Jalapeno Creamy Sauce “That Green stuff”

Makes about 2 – 2-1/2 cups.

6 large fresh Jalapeño chiles. Mine weighed about 7 oz / 200 gr. give it or take.. you can make it half a pound why not!
¼ of a large yellow onion
2 large garlic cloves
½ to 3/4 of a cup corn oil, grapeseed oil, sunflower oil or extra virgin olive oil, or a combination of two.
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Note: depending on how spicy are your chiles, adjust using a little splash of apple cider vinegar to brighten up the flavor. Remember you can use any other chile you prefer, like Serranos, Poblanos, Habaneros, Bell peppers, Anaheims, Gueros, California, Hatch… or a combination of them!

Preparation Method:

1. In a small pot bring water to a boil, enough water to cover the chiles and piece of onion.  Simmer the jalapenos and onions for about 15-20 minutes until they change in color and are fork tender, but not mushy. Carfuly remove stems after they cool down a bit and strain some of the excess water.

Boil-the-Jalapenos-and-onionsJalapeno-creamy-sauce_'that-green-stuff'_add-all-togehter
2. Using an immersion blender, a food processor or a regular blender, combine the corn oil, garlic cloves, strained  jalapeños onions and salt.

Jalapeno-creamy-sauce_'that-green-stuff'_blend-until
3. Blend until smooth and creamy, about 3-4 minutes  using an inversion blender, about  5-6 minutes on a blender or food processor, until it looks frothy, creamy and pale green.

Jalapeno-creamy-sauce_'that-green-stuff'_smooth_2
4. Taste for salt, adjust if necessary. Transfer to a squeeze bottle, and refrigerate. It will last for about a week… If you can contain your self!…. Enjoy!

Warning and Notes:

*This sauce is really spicy when is warm. Please, do not panic, once the sauce cools down and its refrigerated, the extra spiciness will settle and will have a comfortable mild bright spicy flavor.

**If sauce is to thick add bit of the water in which the jalapeños were cooked, or a dash of apple cider vinegar. It always its more lose when recently made, once its refrigerated it tends to congeal, just give it a couple of nice shakes and it will be alright.

Keep in the refrigerator. It last about 2 weeks… if you are lucky!

6 Jalapenos too much for you?
Substitute 3  jalapeños for 1 large or 2 small poblano peppers, remove seeds and veins. Add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to brighten up the flavor. Blend, Enjoy!

Jalapeno-creamy-sauce_'that-green-stuff'-Yes,-more-please!-spicy

Music Pairing: 17 Hippies – Just like You

5 from 9 votes

Jalapeno Creamy Sauce “That Green stuff”

Course Condiments, Salsas, and Sass
Cuisine Mexican
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes

Ingredients

• 6 large fresh Jalapeños, about 1/2 pound
  • 1/4 large yellow onion
  • 2 large garlic cloves
  • 1/2-3/4 cup Corn Oil, Sunflower oil, OR Grape seed oil
  • 1 teaspoon Kosher or sea salt

Instructions

1. 1. In a small pot bring water to a boil, enough water to cover the chiles and piece of onion. Simmer the jalapenos and onions for about 15-20 minutes until they change in color and are fork tender, but not mushy. Carfuly remove stems after they cool down a bit and strain some of the excess water.

2. Using an immersion blender, a food processor or a regular blender, combine the corn oil, garlic cloves, strained jalapeños onions and salt.

3. Blend until smooth and creamy, about 3-4 minutes using an inversion blender, about 5-6 minutes on a blender or food processor, until it looks frothy, creamy and pale green.

Recipe Notes

Warning and Notes:

Keep in the refrigerator. It last about 2 weeks… if you are lucky!

6 Jalapenos too much for you?

***Depending on how spicy are your chiles, adjust using a little splash of apple cider vinegar to brighten up the flavor. Remember you can use any other chiles you prefer, like Serranos, Poblanos, Habaneros, Bell peppers, Anaheims, Gueros, California, Hatch… or a combination of them!

102 Responses to Jalapeno Creamy Sauce “That Green stuff”

1. JoAnn I AM April 8, 2017 at 12:05 am #

I just had some of that Green stuff last week and have been craving it ever since. Glad I ran across this recipe, definitely going to try it when my peppers come this summer. I do a lot of home canning so I am hoping to jar this up for future use. Will have to add some apple cider vinegar to it for canning, to increase acidity.

2. Travis March 27, 2017 at 10:03 pm #

A buddy and I visited Tacorrido on Lamar and Rundberg (I’m sure you know of it) and we’re talking about how this sauce is made because everyone loves it but no one knew how. I came across your recipe and made it tonight, it’s perfect. I’m taking a batch in to work tomorrow. Thanks from one Austinjte to another!!!

3. Adrianne Buschling March 4, 2017 at 2:57 pm #

Could I use avocado oil?

4. Aaron Arnold February 23, 2017 at 5:33 pm #

I’ve been making this recipe for a while now and thank you so much for providing it! It’s always a big hit, and since tomorrow is National Tortilla Chip Day I’m making it again!

5. Emily February 6, 2017 at 9:50 pm #

Thank you for sharing!! I hope it is similar to the sauce they have here in DFW at El Pollo Regio. I am addicted to that stuff. Now I just need to figure out how they make the rub for their chicken!

6. Linda January 20, 2017 at 8:55 pm #

Amazing! I’ve had this in Milwaukee taquerias over the years and also assumed it was made with avocados. I’ve gotten rave reviews and have passed the recipe on. I love making home made salsas, especially the thinner hot sauces found in the squeeze bottles on the tables at my favorite taquerias, but this recipe beats them all. I like spice, but used two poblanos and one jalapeno to make it edible for my husband. It was so flavorful, I didn’t miss the extra spice. Easily one of the best things I’ve made in a long time!

7. Steve Pham January 18, 2017 at 9:50 am #

Thank you Mariana for your love of food and flavors that unlocked the secret of this amazing sauce that I’ve been dying to know what brings it all together! My love for this amazing flavor has literally drove me to venture out among the numerous taco stands throughout Houston to gain knowledge on how it’s made, but have not yet been successful until I read your blog. You’ve truly made my day!

8. KyRedbone December 25, 2016 at 3:18 am #

OMG!! I found this sauce on a taco truck in my neighborhood and have been obsessed with it for a while now, even paying $0.50 a little condiment cup to bring extra home. I have been eating this on everything and have been dying to know the recipe! When I found this one, I said Let’s give it a whirl. Noew mind you, my blender bit the dust a couple months ago, abnd I haven’t gotten around to replacing it yet, so i had to use the next best thing, my stand mixer. While I didn’t get a completely smooth product, it tastes just as good chunky! You might not believe this but I just ate a big dollop on top of a chocolate chip cookie and it was amazing!! Thank you for all your research and development of this recipe and Merry Christmas to me!!!

9. Harp October 24, 2016 at 2:18 pm #

So excited to tray this out but was wondering if anyone knows if this can be canned in a waterbath or frozen and thawed without the emulsion breaking and separating? Thanks

10. Cl October 22, 2016 at 11:37 am #

Mexicans never boil jalapeños before hand.

Raw jalapeños, raw cilantro, raw garlic

• Mariana McEnroe November 11, 2016 at 12:08 pm #

Hello CI, being from Mexico, I believe we do : ) give it a try, you won’t regret 😉

11. Mindy October 12, 2016 at 9:46 pm #

Personally loved your musical pairing.Making it tomorrow, for dipping cauliflower pakora in.

12. Bei September 24, 2016 at 7:43 pm #

Omg thank you sooooo much for this recipe! I’ve been looking for a long time. I appreciate the time and effort you put into figuring out this recipe.

13. Angie September 19, 2016 at 4:53 pm #

Think it would taste good on pasta if mixed with sum Mexican creama or sour cream ?

14. Linda August 19, 2016 at 11:38 pm #

Could this be canned in jars for later use?

• Mariana McEnroe August 23, 2016 at 10:45 am #

Hello Linda, I have never done that, but I guess you could! I would make a small batch, jar it canned and test it in 3 months … in that way you don’t waste a lot of sauce if it does not work. Good luck! and letm me know how it turns out! xoxo

• Mariana McEnroe October 12, 2016 at 4:53 pm #

Linda I have never tried. My suggestion make a batch and can half… cheek on it and see if it works, let me know the outcome! : )

15. Rich August 5, 2016 at 8:05 pm #

This was so simple and easy! We absolutely loved it.

16. Dan July 5, 2016 at 7:56 am #

Hello, I made this sauce yesterday and it’s delicious. I used it on chicken tacos and it added a great spicy touch to the meal. Thanks!

17. Debbie July 4, 2016 at 9:43 am #

Thank you so much. I, too have been searching for this formula. Now I’m so popular at work, because my coworkers have been searching, too! Okay, I don’t know if I’m any more popular, nor do I care, but we are all having fun comparing samples of our individual attempts and different tweaks on this recipe. We are like junkies who found a secret stash! Bless You!!

18. Kari Myers June 30, 2016 at 6:47 pm #

I have been searching and searching for this recipe! Now I’ve found it. I made it today. It costs about .72 cents not including the plastic bottle to pour it in like the picture shows. It’s fantastic, creamy, dreamy perfection. Absolutely mouth watering!!!!! I am now subscribing to this website. I am so thrilled I found it! Thank you for sharing this recipe.

19. Steve June 28, 2016 at 3:36 pm #

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I’ve been trying to find the recipe for some time. I followed your instructions and IT WAS GREAT!!!

20. Jenni June 11, 2016 at 9:24 pm #

Oh My God!!! I would love to shake your hand!!! This is exactly what I have been looking for and the only thing I would recommend (depending on preference) is how much salt to add. Otherwise, it’s perfect since the recipe is so straightforward. I was going through withdrawal of this since I was laid off from work and I couldn’t go to my favorite taco stand. But now I know how to make this and everything else just falls into place. Thank you so much sharing this and keep up the great work providing such awesome recipes😃

21. Dawn P. June 8, 2016 at 3:25 pm #

Thank you for sharing this recipe. I’ve looked everywhere for a good recipe and with you I’ve found a recipe that is even better than the sauce I was aiming to replicate. LOVE the musical pairing too. Will definitely try some other recipes you’ve posted! Many thanks 😀

22. Beaddemon May 30, 2016 at 10:52 am #

I heard that you can add chicken boullion to this recipe. I guess skip the salt so sauce won’t be too salty.

• Mariana McEnroe June 1, 2016 at 7:04 pm #

Beaddemon I will not recommend to add chicken bouillion at all. A good quality Sea Salt will do. No need the sauce to taste like chicken ; )

23. Chane Gildon May 26, 2016 at 11:11 am #

I love the recipe but I spiced it up a little and added serranno Peppers instead of jalapeno peppers and also added cilantro and lime juice instead of vinegar!

24. Jason April 7, 2016 at 11:06 pm #

To get the full Dona flavor add a cap full of white vinegar (I havent tried Apple Cider but will give it a shot soon). I have been making it for years and felt it just wasnt quite there. But then, the moment i tried it with added vinegar I have not gone back. amazing.

I have also found that steaming the peppers is much faster and gets the same result without the water content infiltrating the peppers.

25. Sarah February 26, 2016 at 1:50 pm #

This sauce was sooooooooooo good. After a trip to Mexico, I was looking for the creamy jalapeno sauce and this hit right on the mark. I’m soooooo glad I’ve found your recipe – will be present at every single taco night we have. THANKS!!

26. Abbey smith February 10, 2016 at 2:15 pm #

I just got back from visiting Austin and have been scouring the Internet for a recipe for the green stuff!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!

27. Jerry January 13, 2016 at 8:10 pm #

Great sauce!

I made it per recipe and I love it! Like everyone else I’ve been trying to duplicate it for years!

One thing still escapes me(I know Jalapenos differ heat from batch to batch and there are different types. I used a jalapeño and Serrano mix), the three taco shacks I get this sauce from is always hot. I mean hot! I love that and was wondering if you skipped the boiling step and made it from raw Jalapenos if it would be be hotter or would it be bitter. Theirs is hot every timetime?

I love the sauce and thank you very much for solving this mystery for me!!

• Mariana McEnroe January 28, 2016 at 5:42 pm #

Hello Jerry! If you want it hotter use serranos only. I have never attempt to make it with raw chiles. You can only try. Let me know how it goes….

• Jaimie Stroud February 13, 2016 at 1:33 pm #

A version of this made with raw ingredients in all over the net. Just google jalapeno sauce and many options will appear. I love this but want to try the fresh version too.

• Jerry February 24, 2016 at 5:06 pm #

I tried it using fresh peppers but found the flavor was too “earthy”(only way I can think to describe it) for me. I found that using Mariana’s suggestion of using strictly Serrano’s worked perfectly. I also left out the garlic this time too. I find the garlic overwhelmed it but that’s just what I thought. Great sauce either way!

• Mariana McEnroe February 25, 2016 at 12:41 pm #

Good experimenting Jerry! that is the only way you would make it to your taste, I’m glad you adjust the Sauce to your taste bud, Enjoy!

28. Doug January 12, 2016 at 2:18 pm #

Just for reference: taco trucks who make their own sauce use canned chilies (either jalapeño or chipoltle) and powdered onion/garlic etc for their versions for convenience. This was a solid recipe and I used 4 big jalapeños and 2 poblano and it came out fantastic

29. Laurin December 29, 2015 at 8:31 am #

I’ve been searching for this recipe for YEARS! Thank you so much for doing the leg-work, and posting the recipe!

30. R.Kidd.Eng December 16, 2015 at 5:23 pm #

How long can you store this sauce in the Regrigerator???

• Mariana McEnroe December 18, 2015 at 5:55 pm #

It last 10-12 days.. if you are lucky!…We are lucky if we manage to make it last longer, its so good it goes fast!

• Mike P August 14, 2016 at 11:43 am #

Would adding vinegar like others have suggested increase the shelf life?

• Mariana McEnroe August 15, 2016 at 10:38 pm #

No Mike, it will just brighten up a little the flavor… : )

• Jason davis August 16, 2016 at 9:09 am #

Speaking of shelf life…I made a batch prior to a month long trip. I came home to a mostly full bowl that looked, smelled, and tasted just fine. There was the slightest amount of seperation of oil but it was far less than I expected. I don’t know what exactly the shelf life is but as long as it’s refrigerated it seems to last at least 3 weeks without cause for alarm.

• Mariana McEnroe August 16, 2016 at 1:13 pm #

Great to know Jason Davis!Thank you!

• Mike P August 17, 2016 at 9:28 am #

Since Mariana is graciously encouraging experimentation and substitutions, I thought I’d share that I substituted Greek Yogurt for the Oil which dropped the calories considerably. 70 calories versus 1,000 calories respectively. You do taste the Tanginess of the yogurt, but worth it for me.

• Mariana McEnroe August 23, 2016 at 10:46 am #

Mike good for you! I’m not that sure how accurate is that 70 v.s 1,000 calorie wise… but there is room for everything in this life! If that rocks your boat, Enjoy and have fun!

31. Greg November 9, 2015 at 11:34 am #

I too have experimented many times with this type of sauce. Thank you for this recipe! I cooked fajitas last night and this sauce went great with them. This recipe is a keeper!

32. Steve Hanson November 1, 2015 at 3:45 pm #

I am a salsa and taco fanatic, and I’ve always wanted to know how to make a good creamy green salsa. This recipe was exactly what I was looking for! Just made it and it came out great. Here are a couple notes from my experience:

I skipped the onion, and didn’t miss it. I’ll try using it next time to see the difference.

Used canola oil instead of corn oil. I suspect any oil that doesn’t have a strong oil flavor would work. I can’t imagine extra virgin olive oil being good in here, but who knows.

Added some water to make it runnier and to make it go farther.

Thanks for sharing!

33. Dorian October 26, 2015 at 11:20 am #

Just wondering if I can freeze the sauce? I want to triple the batch. I have end of season peppers and trying to find a sauce to make.

• Mariana McEnroe October 26, 2015 at 11:45 pm #

Hi Dorian, I’ve never tried to freeze this sauce, but what I can suggest you its to boil or roast those extra peppers and freeze them. Peppers really freeze well.

THen, when you have the need to make any recipe you can pull those frozen peppers, and prepare what ever you want, with out having to commit to one single recipe.

Later on if you are preparing this sauce with your frozen peppers, just defrost them and warm them a little so they emulsify better when blending with the rest of the ingredients. I hope this helps you! : )

34. Kei October 17, 2015 at 3:44 am #

The first time I made it I followed the directions on here exactly but found that the raw garlic was a little overpowering. The second time I made it I cut the garlic cloves into thirds and fried them first before blending them into the sauce, and I found that I liked the second version much better. Either way, great recipe!

• Mariana McEnroe October 26, 2015 at 11:39 pm #

Great Kei, recipes always work best we they are adjust to your tastebuds! Enjoy!

35. Suzanne October 10, 2015 at 3:37 pm #

Thank you so much for the recipe, I can’t wait to make it tonight. We are going to a bonfire/cookout tomorrow night and i want it to have time to set up over night. What are some suggestion for putting it on??? Would it be good on burgers? Hotdog? Dip chips in it?

36. marcy wacek October 10, 2015 at 2:05 pm #

I think I will be canning some peppers and onion today for later use in making this sauce, just to see if it will work. Just a few jars, and then try freezing some just for kicks. I like trying new things, and will make the recipe as is knowing Hubby will love the sauce. Thanks so much!

37. Viv September 12, 2015 at 6:50 pm #

Thank you!! So delicious!

38. Randy September 6, 2015 at 1:13 pm #

Will red jalapeños work as well?

• Mariana McEnroe September 7, 2015 at 11:13 am #

Randy, any Kind of chile!, poblanos, red bell peppers, habbaneros, Hatch chiles, Serranos, Any fresh or roasted meaty chile… have fun!

39. Kei August 24, 2015 at 7:08 pm #

You mention when using poblano peppers to remove seeds and veins, but don’t say anything for the jalapenos except to remove the stem. However, your sauce looks creamy and I don’t see any seeds in it. Do you leave seeds and veins in after boiling?

• Mariana McEnroe August 26, 2015 at 8:37 pm #

Hi Kei, Yes, I mentioned on the Recipe “Notes” to remove seeds and veins on both types of chiles if you want a milder version. You can do the same with the original version Jalapeños, if you want less heat.

THe version I like, I leave seeds and veins on because it is deliciously SPICY! I love the heat. This is the way I recommend it. If you are a spicy soul. : )

40. Gracie R. August 22, 2015 at 3:55 pm #

This sauce is delicious and easy to make! Made this last night to put on our Mexican dinner and it made the dish better! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

41. Maeghan July 15, 2015 at 10:12 pm #

This is basically my mother in laws recipe, but she throws in a handful of fresh cilantro when blending. Uff, so good

• Mariana McEnroe August 26, 2015 at 8:39 pm #

Maeghan, that sounds great. I might give it a try myself next time I make a batch! Thank you for stopping by!

42. Andrew July 12, 2015 at 5:25 pm #

Only use corn oil cause extra virgin olive oil is to overpowering for the sauce

• Mariana McEnroe July 14, 2015 at 12:57 am #

Andrew, if the Extra Virgin Olive Oil was to over powering for you, I will suggest maybe you can use 1/2 and 1/2 or milder Olive oil, good luck ! and Thank you for the feed back! ; )

43. Lisa May 22, 2015 at 7:28 pm #

Nailed it! I’ve been trying to make this sauce for years. The little Spanish gas station down the road sells it for $5 per little container. Not anymore! This big batch costs me about $2. THANK YOU!

44. shimarella May 9, 2015 at 4:17 pm #

This is so yum! Thank you! I am still having a problem I hope you can help me with. The sauce kind of clumps up and gets congealed when I store it in a glass jar in the fridge. Is there something wrong with my proportions? I want it to be more liquidy and creamy. I’ve been using maybe 6 serranos in place of the jalapeños, otherwise its the same recipe.

Thanks!

• Mariana McEnroe May 12, 2015 at 5:35 pm #

Hello Shimarella, Serranos are smaller than Jalapeños, I’m surprised it clumps up… Jalapeños are more meaty and when they are boiled they absorb more water. The way this sauce work is like making a mayonnaise. The ratio oil to water and the pectin of the chiles help to give body to the sauce. If you change the type of chiles, go by weight. like in the recipe. My advice is keep the Jalapeños, Serranos are way to spicy. If your sauce clumps up give it a little shake add a dash of apple cider vinegar. Let me know how it goes! have a great day! : )

45. Wanda Wyser May 5, 2015 at 9:28 pm #

Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you!!!

46. Christy April 30, 2015 at 11:47 am #

You’re awesome for posting this. I made this and loved it! It’s exactly what I hoped it would be. Even stirred it into queso…yum!

One thing I’m wondering is…where did you get your squeeze bottle for it? It’s so cute and I’ve tried looking all over the internet and can’t seem to find it. I’m in TX too so I’m crossing my fingers that I could get the same one. Thanks!

• Mariana McEnroe May 12, 2015 at 5:37 pm #

Christy, this bottle I bought it at the restaurant supply store here in Austin.

• Christy May 13, 2015 at 10:31 am #

Great, thank you!

47. lina April 23, 2015 at 8:17 am #

I LOVE this green stuff!! I put that on EVERYthing! Thanks so much for posting this awesome recipe. 😉

48. Em March 30, 2015 at 5:55 pm #

Hi. Is there water in the sauce? And, if so, how much? Thanks!

• Mariana McEnroe March 31, 2015 at 10:44 pm #

Hi Em!, no no water at all, when the jalapeños are boiled they do tend to absorb some water, and that is enough to make the sauce for a perfect consistency.

• Em April 2, 2015 at 11:17 am #

Great! Thanks for the reply.

• Dan April 14, 2015 at 1:26 pm #

The Jalapeno Cream Sauce its……..that green stuff and thanks so much for the hard work. Do you think It could be adjusted to shelf stable PH You did mention a little vinegar for a little twang Smiling all the time now 🙂

DAN

49. C Flores January 18, 2015 at 6:38 pm #

YOU ARE THE BEST!!!! I have been searching for the recipe for about eight years now, including trying to win over the taqueria workers for their ‘secret’ recipe. I’ve tried several recipes and never had luck, But this is exactly what I’ve been looking for. It came out perfectly!

50. Nick December 16, 2014 at 10:36 pm #

Thank you for sharing this recipe, came out great, I added a tsp of cashew butter

51. Tamra July 26, 2014 at 7:35 pm #

This was perfect on your eggplant tacos. OMG how delicious.
    I call them tacos because my Mom lived in Oaxaca (Mitla) for 15 years and I miss the food I had In south Mexico. Bravo Mariana You never cease to amaze me.

52. Sara July 26, 2014 at 12:06 pm #

Any options other than corn oil? Would plain ole veggie oil work?

• Mariana McEnroe July 26, 2014 at 1:00 pm #

Sarah, yes you can use corn oil, or grape seed oil, something neutral ; )

53. wendy July 25, 2014 at 9:48 pm #

This was so good and easy! Tastes even better the next day. Thanks, Marianna!

54. Lushly July 23, 2014 at 12:34 pm #

Delicious! Cool recipe to add to my sauce arsenal x

55. Marchbanks July 22, 2014 at 5:39 pm #

Is this pretty much what Tacodeli’s Doña sauce is all about?

• Mariana McEnroe July 22, 2014 at 10:12 pm #

Hi March!, Yes, it is the same style of salsa. Make it your self and let me know if you like it. Enjoy!

• ShaunaT September 18, 2016 at 11:33 am #

Thank you for the most absolute best recipe I could ever find. I have already made this at least five time the past two months. Thank you.