Sweet Potato Kale and Quinoa Fritters

Kale-Sweet potatoe-and-Quinoa-FrittersKale-Sweet-potatoe-and-Quinoa-Fritters-cooked-quinoa

So many Kale… so little time… root vegetables, pumpkins, sweet potatoes, all kinds of potatoes, carrots; an Autumn cornucopia is here and with it Thanksgiving. So gear up! I will be posting side dish appetizers, entrees, and everything with the potential of being on your Thanksgiving table… I think it’s great to add new dishes to the traditional menu, or revamp old recipes. And even if you are not a Thanksgiving celebration type, this seasonal produce is what you will enjoy preparing, whether it’s lunch, or dinner or a simple snak-petizer like this Sweet Potato Kale and Quinoa Fritters.

These little fritters are scrumptiously good. Loaded with vitamins and flavor, this little patties that have a crispy exterior and a soft creamy interior. The quinoa adds texture and a little crunch. Call them patties, fritters, creatures; you’re gonna love them. They taste equally good when they are warm or room temperature.
They make for a fabulous appetizer, side dish, or if you make them bigger. Two of these patties can be your lunch or sensible dinner with a salad on the side.

Kale-Sweetpotatoe-and-Quinoa-Fritters_platter-ready-to-eat!

Sweet Potato Kale and Quinoa Fritters

Makes 18-20 / 2”mini patties or 6 / 3.5” side patties

1 large or 2 medium sweet potatoes steamed and pureed. Makes about 3 cups
2 cups cooked Quinoa, you can use red quinoa if you prefer. Approximately 1 cup of uncooked quinoa yields 2.25 cups when cooked.
2 cups kale finely chopped.  I used Lacinto kale, a.k.a. Dinosaur Kale but, any flat kind kale will work.
2 eggs (vegan: substitute 2 tablespoons ground flax seed + 3 tablespoons of water)
½ cup panko or any kind of plain bread crumbs. If you have gluten allergies, ground old fashion oats or almond meal will work.
3 teaspoons cornstarch. If using the almond meal add one extra teaspoon.
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 good pinch paprika or smoked paprika
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt

4-6 tablespoons grape seed oil, peanut oil, or coconut oil  to pan fry them.

*See note for alternative cooking method on the bottom of the post…

For the dipping sauce:

¼ cup Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper

In a small cup mix all ingredients and chill.

Hot sauce of your preference. I highly recommend Sriracha Sauce.

Directions:

1.-

Devein the Kale, make it into a tight roll and chop chiffonade style.

Kale-Sweetpotatoe-and-Quinoa-Fritters_Deveining-and-chiffonade-Kale-

2.-

In a medium size bowl, place all ingredients and mix well.

Kale-Sweetpotatoe-and-Quinoa-Fritters_Mixing-ingredients

3.-

In a medium size pan heat up about 4-6 tablespoons of grape seed oil, peanut oil or coconut oil.
With a small Ice cream scooper scoop about 6 patties into the pan and slightly flatten the tops.
Cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.

Kale-Sweet potatoe-and-Quinoa-Fritters_pan frying

4.-

Cool them on a rack.
Serve warm or at room temperature, with the ginger sauce on the side and some hot sauce of your preference. I highly recommend Sriracha…I love it….Enjoy!

Kale-Sweetpotatoe-and-Quinoa-Fritters_-fritters-resting-on-cooling-rack

Kale-Sweet potatoe-and-Quinoa-Fritters-delicious!

Kale-Sweet potatoe-and-Quinoa-Fritters_delicious-texture

Enjoy!!!

*Note:  Many people have asked me about baking these fritters. It never occurred to me to bake a fritter… So I made a batch and baked half and fried half to see the differences in flavor and texture. Here is the veredict:

Baked Version:

I Baked them at 375F on a sheet pan lined with parchment. I brushed each patty with some grape seed oil and baked for 15-20 minutes flipping them half way.

The results:  Texture is more firm and they hold up more like a patty, where the inside is a little more dense. They do not remind me a fritter at all since they have no crispy outside texture.

Pan Fried:

Well you see the results, they really do not absorb a lot of oil, I love love the contrast in textures, crispy caramelized outside, and creamy less thight inside. For me this is fritter.

I like them both in their own category… but a fritter its a fritter!

, , , ,

87 Responses to Sweet Potato Kale and Quinoa Fritters

1. Margaret June 14, 2016 at 2:56 pm #

These are delicious! Thanks for the recipe! (To keep them gluten free I used crushed rice crispy cereal instead of bread crumbs)😃

• Mariana McEnroe June 22, 2016 at 10:34 am #

Margaret, THat is a GREAT idea! thank you for the tip!

2. rlj June 6, 2016 at 9:28 am #

These would be a great healthy substitute for hash browns

3. Hannah May 3, 2016 at 1:32 am #

Hi- I would love to know how essential the crumbs are or what I could subsitute? I want to make these with some kids as a mother helper at kindy in the morning and am trying to keep this nut and gluten free in case of intolerances. So wanting to avoid oats too….although will grab some if that is all that will work. I have coconut flour but that can be hit and miss to work with and can also be a little polarising. Woud appreciate your advice.

• Mariana McEnroe May 5, 2016 at 12:32 pm #

Hannah, I understand your concerns, I will suggest to add a bit more quinoa and maybe some arrowroot instead of cornstarch perhaps. Hope this works for you! have a great day. : )

4. Viviana April 28, 2016 at 2:34 pm #

This are absolutely delicious, I will make them again and again! Thank you Mariana!

5. Renee March 25, 2016 at 12:43 pm #

These make me so happy! So many nutritious ingredients and surprisingly tasty! I made them using the flax eggs. They were a bit difficult to handle, stayed a bit mushier than I figure they would when using real eggs. But I managed! Medium/low heat and not touching them for the first 5 minutes seemed to let me flip them a bit easier. I also used ground pecans since I had some on hand and 1/4 tsp of smoked paprika, although I think they could handle a little bit more, it compliments the ingredients so nicely. Thanks for the recipe!

6. Susan March 15, 2016 at 5:28 pm #

These were very good. Crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside, as promised. Very tasty, and the best part is, they are very nutritious. I fried them in coconut oil , and they did soak up quite a bit of it. Thanks for this excellent recipe.

7. Banditwalker November 23, 2015 at 5:59 pm #

Oh wow! This was great. I followed the instructions to the tee because it was the 1st time and I would not change a thing. The little bits of kale sticking out were crunchy, the sweet potato made it creamy, and the quinoa added a little bit of texture. I will definitely make this again.

8. Sunita October 11, 2015 at 1:45 pm #

Absolutely delightful recipe. I made some modifications:
    – no eggs
    – I added some shredded carrots and diced red pepper. This made them colorful and delicious.
    – I did not add any corn starch

One of my favorite recipes.

9. Susan Stein September 21, 2015 at 5:49 am #

This was delicious. I made it as directed and would make it again.

• Mariana McEnroe September 23, 2015 at 12:39 pm #

Great! Im glad you like them Susan, thank you for stoping by : )

10. Suzanne September 16, 2015 at 1:51 pm #

I have made these for parties, for suppers and they are always a big hit. These are very tasty and feel good in the belly. A great recipe! Keep ’em coming and God bless!

11. Cathy September 4, 2015 at 12:53 pm #

Yummy! I made once with GF pano crumbs but I’m out of those so today’s version will have almond meal. I froze half of the batch in patties and fried from semi frozen state. They were just as delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

• Mariana McEnroe September 4, 2015 at 1:06 pm #

Hello Cathy, that sounds terrific, so glad you enjoyed them.
      Thank you for your comments. Ah! and if you are GF check out our corn Muffins with poblano Peppers and Gouda you will love them!

12. Jenny July 27, 2015 at 8:09 pm #

Just wanted to add – these are amazing. My boyfriend and parents keep raving about them. Thank you so much for sharing!! Quinoa, kale, and sweet potatoes are some of my favorite foods in general, and so I’m really happy to have found this wonderful recipe. Once again, thank you!!

• Mariana McEnroe July 28, 2015 at 10:35 pm #

Jenny, thats great, thank you, I love this ingredients too, I think together they are the bomb! Enjoy!

13. Marya July 19, 2015 at 12:02 pm #

These are simply fantastic! Thank you for posting. My entire family loves these.

14. charlotte collins June 17, 2015 at 8:31 am #

hi ,

If vegan and dont have access or any vegan yoghurt that is disgusting ,what could i use instead ?

• Mariana McEnroe June 19, 2015 at 1:25 pm #

Hi, Charlotte you can use coconut cream instead, I think it will be a nice combination with the ginger and sriracha!

15. Cat March 31, 2015 at 6:26 pm #

Has anyone tried freezing these?

• Mariana McEnroe March 31, 2015 at 10:46 pm #

Cat, I have not, please let me know if they hold up! : )

• Cat April 21, 2015 at 2:11 pm #

Definately make a huge batch and freeze leftovers! After I fried them, I placed them flat in a freezer bag and threw them in the freezer. To defrost, I just left them in the refrigerator. Instead of re-frying them, I set the oven at 350 and baked for about 10 minutes. They weren’t as crispy as the first time but, I may have prematurely taken them out of the oven (I was starving!) I also didn’t have any leftover dip so, I made a little siracha sour cream and they were fantastic!

16. ALICIA March 24, 2015 at 7:28 pm #

I don’t have cornstarch-what can I substitute? Please and thanks-looking forward to tasting these beauties!

• Mariana McEnroe March 25, 2015 at 1:58 pm #

Alicia, you can substitute with arrowroot powder or if you do not have any celiac allergies you can use plain flour. : )

17. Kellie March 9, 2015 at 2:46 pm #

Made these yesterday! Absolutely LOVE them!! I baked in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.

18. Kim March 2, 2015 at 12:41 am #

I made quinoa with shallots, garlic, cumin, turmeric and vegetable stock. I followed everything else. When I used two medium sweet potatoes I ended up needing to roast two more to make three cups total. Best recipe ever!!! Thank you.

• Mariana McEnroe March 16, 2015 at 7:59 am #

Kim yes, with sweet potatoes is always a guesstimate, upon the size, but aslong you end up with 3 cups you are gonna be fine!… (even if you have a little extra…you can toss it with some eggs for breakfast next morning : ) enjoy!… I do not see the need to add the vegetable stock, since it will make the batter to lose…but hey what ever rock your boat! have fun!

19. GaleMarie February 27, 2015 at 11:11 am #

Made these last night and they were fantastic. The only substitution I had to make was swiss chard for kale because I was snowed in and chard was what I had on hand. Used sweet potatoes that I actually grew in my backyard garden last year and that made them even more special. Thank you for this recipe. I am currently warming up the leftovers in the toaster oven and cannot wait to gobble them up. Will definitely make again and again.

• Mariana McEnroe March 16, 2015 at 7:56 am #

GaleMarie, Definitely a great substitution, I also have used spinach instead of kale and is tha bomb! : ) enjoy!

20. Julia February 26, 2015 at 7:12 pm #

These were fantastic!!! The flavors were incredible! I used white sweet potatoes-delish! For the dip I didn’t have Greek yogurt so I used sour cream and added lemon and fresh dill to the other ingredients! This is definitely my favorite fritter of all time- great recipe!

21. stacey snacks February 7, 2015 at 2:56 pm #

I used roasted sweet potatoes from a quinoa salad w/ kale from yesterday to make these patties…..I omitted the ginger and cornstarch.

These were the BEST quinoa patties I have ever made!
    Thanks for the inspiration!

Stacey

• Mariana McEnroe February 7, 2015 at 5:41 pm #

Stacey,
      I am glad to hear you were inspired. That sounds like an interesting combination!

22. evelyn January 31, 2015 at 8:21 am #

Oh my God! Made them today and they were gone within a minute! Delish!

23. Angely January 27, 2015 at 9:59 pm #

Hello, can I substitute the yogurt for something else? I have some food intolerances. Thanks

24. Janet-Brosius January 19, 2015 at 3:03 pm #

Tried these this evening and they are yummy good! Made a promise to actually prepare more of the recipes I pin. These are so good. No sriracha sauce on hand so improvised with Curry Paste. That was good. Loved this.

• Mariana McEnroe January 20, 2015 at 11:27 am #

Janet, That sounds like a great variation , curry, I must try it next time! ; )

• Sherrita April 19, 2015 at 7:18 pm #

I made the set today with q sauce of curry powder, tahini, lemon juice and maple syrup

25. rachel January 18, 2015 at 7:02 pm #

I had a little leftover kale, quinoa and one big sweet potato in my fridge and this simple recipe turned it into an amazing dinner!

I was too lazy to steam or boil then puree it so i thinly grated it raw like one would for a latke – It came out perfect – still held together, was fully cooked and crispy.

26. Kisha January 16, 2015 at 7:04 pm #

This sounds yummy. Want to try this tomorrow. Any word on how much calories is in a serving? Is serving one patty?

27. Espi January 12, 2015 at 10:33 am #

OMG! I made these this weekend and they were great. Better than I expected even before the Dipping sauce – once I “dipped” it just put them over the top. I will be making these again and again. They are so easy to make too.

28. Marizandra January 10, 2015 at 3:42 pm #

Where I live there is not kale, I can replace it for spinach?

• Mariana McEnroe January 11, 2015 at 10:27 am #

Hi Marizandra, Yes you can replace for spinach, I have not tried that substitution before. since the spinach have a little more water content you might need to adjust the cornstarch. What I would do is to cook one fritter to test the mixture.

I bet they will taste delicious! enjoy!

29. Debby January 10, 2015 at 2:24 pm #

Can you use baked sweet potato instead of steamed? I have never steamed sweet potato before.

• Mariana McEnroe January 11, 2015 at 10:21 am #

Hi Debbi, yes you can!

• Debby January 11, 2015 at 8:19 pm #

Made them for dinner tonight using baked sweet potatoes, and they were delicious! I loved using the yogurt dipping sauce with the fresh ginger too. We didn’t use all the mix tonight so my husband plans to use the leftovers to make a veggie burger for lunch tomorrow. Thank you for sharing this recipe!

• Mariana McEnroe January 11, 2015 at 10:32 pm #

I’m glad you enjoyed!, if you like sweet potatoes, check out our the sweet potato salad is delicious too! : )

30. Jade January 2, 2015 at 3:16 pm #

love the sound of these but do you know if they can be frozen? Always love to make things in bulk for ease!

• Mariana McEnroe January 2, 2015 at 4:02 pm #

Hi Jade! I’ve never freeze them, my advice would be, make a batch and freeze 2 or 4 fritters, wrap them in plastic wrap or freezer paper to see how they behave.
      Let me know if they work! : )

31. Claire December 1, 2014 at 9:47 pm #

Thanks for this amazing recipe, perfect for the seasonal veggies in our CSA box. By the time I went to get it out, I realized that my ginger had gone soft, so improvised and with garlic and a bit of parmesan instead. These cakes were delicious and lovely and appreciated by the whole family. The kids especially loved dipping them in veganaise + sriracha aioli.

32. Allysa November 28, 2014 at 3:18 pm #

Hi there, could you recommend a substitute for the cornstarch? We have quite a few corn allergies in our family. Thanks so much, can’t wait to try this!

• Mariana McEnroe November 29, 2014 at 10:13 am #

Allysa, Arrowroot powder, you might have to adjust the amount, start with what the recipe calls for, and test your mixture, if it does not hold on add another teaspoon. ; )

33. Rick Shaw November 23, 2014 at 8:44 pm #

Does the hot sauce go into the yogurt dip, or is it an alternative to the yogurt dip?

• Mariana McEnroe November 23, 2014 at 11:54 pm #

Hi Rick, honestly what ever rock your boat! you can mix a little to make a creamy spicy sauce, or separate, since the yogurt has ginger, I like to play dipping into spicy and then yogurt to cool the palate… have fun!

34. Christine November 20, 2014 at 9:41 am #

do you think I can substitute puréed fresh pumpkin for the sweet potatoe?

35. Sparky Brady November 19, 2014 at 7:52 pm #

I made these tonight and they were delicious! Thanks for this wonderful recipe. It’s great too for do-ahead prep. We made the quinoa and sweet potato puree last night and then put it all together today. Alas, there were no leftovers!!!

36. Lisa hall November 19, 2014 at 11:54 am #

The texture and taste of these were awesome. However I had a lot of trouble with mine sticking to the pan.

• Mariana McEnroe November 19, 2014 at 4:14 pm #

Hi, Lisa! what kind of pan did you use?, some of my tips will be, use a good non-stick pan, enough oil so they can fry, and place the batter until oil is hot. Turn them until they release them selves. You should not have any troubles,
      since I didn’t…hope this helps!

37. Elizabeth November 18, 2014 at 4:22 pm #

I can’t wait to try them…sounds so good. Have all the ingredients and hopefully will have time to make tomorrow.

38. Laurie November 18, 2014 at 10:52 am #

These look fabulous, but is it possible to substitute the quinoa with brown rice ?

• Mariana McEnroe November 18, 2014 at 1:56 pm #

Hi Laurie!, I’ve never done it before, the reason I chose Quinoa is because it give more texture to the patty, is almost little crunchy and it plays really well with the mashed sweet potato. Brown rice, has a different texture, you can only try!
      let me know the out come… ; )

39. Leah November 18, 2014 at 12:35 am #

Have you tried puréed pumpkin instead of the sweet potatoes? Would that work?

• Mariana McEnroe November 18, 2014 at 2:00 pm #

Hi Leah!, No I’ve never tried with pumpkin puree, my only advice if you are going to make the substitution, increase the cornstarch maybe another teaspoon, since pumpkin pure tends to have more moisture than sweet potatoes. This will allow to have more body and hold the fritter shape.
      Enjoy!

40. Laura November 17, 2014 at 8:41 pm #

this sounds delicious! Would baking instead of pan frying be an option? And if so, at what temp and for how long? Thanks in advance!

• Mariana McEnroe November 18, 2014 at 1:49 pm #

Hi Laura! I have never attempted to bake them. But If I would.. probably I would brush them with some grepeseed oil, and bake them at a high temperature like 400F to try to achieve the crispy outside and creamy inside… Let me know if you do! I would love to hear all about it!

• Allison November 19, 2014 at 7:39 pm #

I baked them and had better success than frying. Turned out great. I sprayed the sheet with olive oil as well the fritters so they were crispy/crunchy.

• Erin November 26, 2014 at 2:50 am #

What temp and how long did you bake them for? I would love to bake these rather than fry them.

• Mariana McEnroe November 26, 2014 at 7:04 pm #

Erin I have not tried that but I will definitely take the word of Allison just a comment ahead, She said she spray them with olive oil and bake them and they where crispy and crunchy.

I think I would bake them at 375F hight temperature will fast crisp them, keeping the moist inside. I would use grape seed oil, since it has higher smoking point.

• Mariana McEnroe November 26, 2014 at 7:07 pm #

This sounds a Great Method Allison, Thank you for sharing! which oven temperature did you use?…It would be really useful, our Friend Erin on the following comment is looking for the same alternative, and I should say I would love to try it myself ; )

41. Nita November 17, 2014 at 5:02 pm #

may try this side dish

42. Camille November 15, 2014 at 1:18 pm #

I had almost no food in the house, but i had most of these ingredients so I braved some modifications and they came out great! Leftover butternut squash in lieu of sweet potatoes (I had white potatoes, but that didn’t seem right), almond meal in lieu of breadcrumbs, tricolor quinoa (my fave!), and I mixed everything except the quinoa in the food processor to cut down on dishes and time. I also cooked them directly on a ceramic nonstick pan instead of frying them. They are great! I love the smoked paprika! I was also out of plain greek yogurt so I used the pumpkin greek yogurt I had on hand. A little sweet, and I would surely prefer the plain, but it worked just fine. Thanks for the great recipe!

43. lisa October 8, 2014 at 5:16 pm #

would this work with oat flour or almond meal?

• Mariana McEnroe October 9, 2014 at 7:16 pm #

Hello Lisa!, instead of the panko? I would use the almond meal, it will be delicious, let me know how they turn out!

44. Sunny January 26, 2014 at 5:51 pm #

Found this recipe and was so excited to make them. Aside from making my house smell like fried foods, the cooking process was flawless. I loved the texture and all the ingredients. The recipe made enough to snack on for a few days. All my friends have asked for the recipe and I will be making them again. YUM!

• mariana_mcenroe January 29, 2014 at 1:48 pm #

Sunny I’m sorry about your hose smell, next time open your windows and enjoy! Thank you for the nice comments!

45. Tamra November 14, 2013 at 5:36 pm #

This was awesome! My brother the vegan LOVED it!!!!
    Yes more please is the most perfect name for your site.

• mariana_mcenroe November 14, 2013 at 10:36 pm #

Thank you Tamra! I’m happy you like the recipe!