A dreamy spicy shrimp, serve with fluffy garlic rice, and a green refreshing salad.
Prepare the Rice:
1. In a medium size pot over medium heat melt butter and oil, add the rice, garlic cloves and bay leaf. Stir constantly until the rice is to slightly toasted, it will turn off white slightly golden.
2. Add the 2 cups of water. Cover the pot with a lid until the water rich to a rolling boil. At this point-set the temperature to low with the lid on. (my advise for good rice, do not look at it do not stir it, do not keep poking it or removing the lid. Rice is a lonely cooker. He likes to bloom in private. So set your timer at 20 minutes and go and peel the shrimp… hehehe)
* 25 min. later…Check your rice. Has the timer gone of? When it does just taste a little bit for doneness and make sure all the water has evaporated. If not give it 5 more minutes, then turn off the heat and leave the rice covered on the stove to keep it warm. Once you are ready to serve it, with a fork, please fluff the rice. It makes it airy and light…
Cooking the shrimp:
1. In a heavy bottom pot, over medium heat melt the butter, add a glug of extra virgin olive oil. Once the butter is bubbling add the finely chopped onions and garlic. Saute for 3-4 minutes until a bit translucent.
2. Add shrimp and cook for about 3-4 minutes until they start to curl but still look a bit translucent. At this point take out the shrimp into a bowl, set a side.
3. At this point you will have some butter, olive oil, garlic, onions and some shrimp juices in the pot. Add the tomato paste cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the Orange juice, the zest and the chilli sauce. Mix until well combined. Cook for 3-4 minutes, adjust for salt and black pepper. Taste for acidity. If is to sweet add a bit of vinegar. If is to spicy you are on the right track. this is the moment to adjust the sauce.
4. Add the shrimp to the sauce, until well combined and toss and cook for another 2-3 minutes. It really does not take longer for shrimp to cook, you do not want over cook, pasty, grainy shrimp…yikes, so watch out!. Enjoy!